If you're a beginning teacher, here are 20 (highly probable) internal conversations that you are having with yourself. If not today, I predict 2 weeks from now, maybe 3, maybe 4. Don't let your enthusiasm turn into negative energy because you become tired & overwhelmed. Let's do something preventative before this becomes way too much!
I can help you get control of this internal dialogue, if you're willing to invest in your own learning.
Here's my summary of your perfectly natural, new teacher "internal dialogue" - in no special order...
1."Being a permanent teacher is way different than being a supply teacher.
2. I am so tired & overwhelmed and it's only the end of September.
3. Some of these kids don't belong here.
4. I didn't truly realize how tough & draining it is to manage my own class."
5. "My non-teacher friends don't get it.
6. There are so many recess problems. I have no time for this.
7. My students can't do anything by themselves.
8. My Principal doesn't see how challenging my situation is. She doesn't support me."
9. "There's no way I can do this with these kids.
10. Where do I even start?
11. I didn't think it would be this hard - this early on.
12. Without a doubt, I have the toughest group in the school.
13. There's never enough time."
14. "The same 4 kids are taking up all my time. It's not fair to the rest of my class.
15. This isn't what I signed up for. I'm not a social worker or therapist.
16. My students don't respect me. They don't listen.
17. I need extra support in my room."
18. "The parent emails are never-ending.
19. How can I teach when all I do all day long is manage behavior?
20. I need a coach or mentor, but everybody is so busy."
Any of these resonate or sound familiar? I thought so.
I am here to remind you that it doesn't have to be this way, but you gotta make a move! I have supported countless beginning teachers through many of these types of experiences and it requires guts & a mindshift to truly do something about it.
My workshop - Run The Room - will help you get a handle of all these concerns. Enrol today. www.jenshirley.com/educators.
Or, if you prefer the one-to-one coaching model or a staff PD presentation, we can arrange that too!
Don't wait too long to address these concerns if they are starting to weigh on you... There's help for the taking. I promise you that it gets easier if you choose to make a move.
That's all I have for now. Thank you.